Saturday 24 October 2015

OUGD504 Blogging Workshop (Studio Brief Three)

Task One.



These are the rough ideas that I came up with. I think the idea of using the shape of the tupperware boxes that Lokables will sell is an effective idea, and I like the idea of creating that shape with a bite mark missing to show that the person who buys the lunch will be the one eating it. I also think the idea of using the shape of the box but adding the name of the company inside it. I think using a lock or anything to show about the lock is a bit too obvious a logo and I don't think it will necessarily need that kind of design as it will be obvious from the title of the company.

These are some rough mock ups of possible logo designs. The idea of using the shape of the tupperware boxes that Lokables sell is an effective idea. The creation of the shape with the bite missing is conceptual and symbolises that the person who prepares the lunch will be the person eating that said lunch. The idea of using the shape of the box but adding the companies name inside it is also effective, as it would be recognisable and give an idea of the problem which the product aims to solve. Being quite obvious with the design is not necessarily needed, for example using a lock, as the consumer will not need to be spoon-fed to understand the aim of the product.

Task Two.


I have now decided to start creating some mock ups on Illustrator. I wanted to show that the box locks, so I decided to try show the connection by joining each letterform together. I don't think this is very successful as the typeface has become less easy to read and not legible.

The idea behind the design below is based on the lock on the Lokables tupperware box. This is shown by the letterforms being connected together. It's an unsuccessful design as the typeface it has took away some of the legibility of the companies name. 


I then used the typeface Futura and played around with the leading. I then added a little lock to the L. I don't think this is successful as it's too obvious a response and looks a bit out of place.

The design below uses the typeface Futura and the leading has been changed. There is a small symbol of a lock added around the letterform 'L'. It's an unsuccessful idea as it's a very obvious response and looks out of place with the symbol. 


I then added the typeface Futura to an outstretched curved rectangle. I think this looks quite effective, however it's very similar to the original logo (but improved in my opinion).

This design is very minimal, as it is just the companies name in Futura and the shape of the tupperware box around the typeface. It's effective, however it's very similar to the original logo (although improved).


I'm now going to take forward the idea I like the most, which is the idea of using the shape of the Lokables box with a bite taken out of it in an icon design. I started by using a curved edge box on Illustrator and taking the bite out of it. I think this was successful, however the line thickness was too much, so I decided to lower that.

This is the idea of using the shape of the Lokables box with a bite taken out of it in an icon design. The design was created using a curved edge box on Illustrator and taking chunks out of it using the eraser tool. It's a successful design, however the line thickness is very heavy which makes it quite overpowering to look at.


I think this looked a lot more successful. I also changed the shape of the bite marks to make it look more realistic and I definitely think it looks a lot better.

This idea is a lot more successful, as the bite marks look more realistic and the design isn't so intense to look at.


I then decided to add the type underneath the logo icon. I chose to use the typeface Futura as it is very geometric and I believe it fits with my icon design really nicely.

The type was then added below the icon design. The typeface is Futura, which is a geometric typeface and fits effectively with the icon design because of this.


I was quite happy with this logo design, however I don't think the tupperware box looks too much like the Lokables box which is my whole concept, so I decided to play around with the shape of the box some more by using stretched semicircles. This is the new shape of the box that I am going to add the bite mark to. I think this looks a lot more successful and relevant to the brand.

The logo design is successful, however the shape of the icon could look more like the actual tupperware box shape. This design was created using stretched semicircles. The design looks a lot more successful as it looks clean, crisp and slick. 


I think this is a very successful design as it's slick and minimal, which fits with the brand Lokables' style and website design. This is my final design and I am going to get some feedback in the group critique.

This design is very successful as it's minimal, which fits effectively with the brand Lokables' style and website design. 


Question.

Describing
Analysing
Evaluating
Contextualising
Theorising
Narrating

Task 3.


I decided to create a wrap around cover for Lokables as the tupperware boxes would need packaging to explain the product and the brand as a whole. I started by using very bright colours and trying to incorporate all of the Lokables colours into the design, however personally I wasn't too pleased with any of the designs that I came up with as they were all a bit too bold and colourful for my liking.

These are the designs for the wrap-around cover for Lokables, as the tupperware boxes would need packaging to explain the product and the brand's aim as a whole. They're designed using very bright colours and each package design tries to incorporate all of the colours of the Lokables tupperware boxes. The designs, however, are a little bit too harsh on the eye as there are so many bright colours used and therefore don't really get across the message of the clean, minimal aesthetic of the brand.


Task 4.


To print both my packaging and discount card, I have decided to use the same stock, however different gsm's so that the discount card will be thick, similar to a business card, however the packaging will be easy to fold. The stock I am going to choose is called newsprint. I've chosen this stock as I have used it before in previous projects, and the printer ink sits really well on it and almost has a gloss. I am, however, going to laminate one side of the packaging so that it has more of a shine and gloss and will therefore stand out to customers in the supermarkets, as I know for a fact that people will be a lot more interested in a product that catches the light than something matte.

These are the final packaging and discount card designs, printed onto the same stock, however using different gsm. This means that the discount card is thick, similar to a business card, however the packaging is easy to fold. The stock chosen is called newsprint, and was chosen as previous experiences with print has influenced this decision. The printer ink sits really well on the stock and almost has a gloss style. The packaging is then laminated on one side to increase the level of gloss, as a packaging design that catches the light is more likely to influence the consumers to pick up the product. 

These are the final discount cards that I have printed. I think they're really effective and the lamination has worked really well. It makes the discount cards a lot more interesting with the laminated side as they look professional. I'm aware that the discount cards don't really explain too much about the product - which is what I wanted, as the discount card will be printed and put inside each Lokables box, and the discount card will be for new customers only. This means that the person who originally buys the Lokables tupperware box will give the discount card to a friend, and is therefore another cheap way of advertising the product.

The printed discount cards are effective and the lamination on one side has worked successfully. The discount cards look a lot more interesting with the laminated side as they look very professional. The discount cards are quite vague with the information about the product, but this was designed on purpose, as the discount card will be for new customers only, meaning that the person who originally buys the Lokables tupperware box would give the discount card to a friend, and is therefore another cheap way of advertising the product.

*INSERT PICTURE OF PRINTED DISCOUNT CARDS*

This is my final packaging design that I have printed. I think it works really nicely, and I have used the specific measurements that I got from the Lokables website, so that I know if I were to actually put the wrap around packaging onto a Lokables box, it would 100% fit snuggly. I think the gloss works really well for the reason I have previously explained - it catches the light nicely and it's bold to look at.

The printed packaging design is successful as the specific measurements on the Lokables website have been used, and therefore it would fit snuggly around the Lokables tupperware box. The gloss works really effectively as it catches the light and therefore it would stand out on the shelf.

*INSERT PICTURE OF PRINTED PACKAGING*

No comments:

Post a Comment