Saturday, 7 November 2015

OUGD504 Pagination Experiments & Book Binding Workshop (Studio Brief Three)

I went to a sign up book binding workshop to to help me know which pagination techniques to consider and in theory, which pagination I am going to use for my own pagination. The book I created below is a perfect bound book. It's a very simple method and looks really neat and effective. The only real issue I have with this publication is the fact that the glue used is PVA glue, and when it is dried its very easy to rip out pages because the glue isn't very strong. It's also not the best as it cuts off a lot of page space with the spine. I don't think this is a method I would like to use for this specific project, however the fact that the pages rip out may be useful for a project further in the future.

This book is a saddle stitch with a hard cover. It's a very simple stitch which means it could be produced very easily commercially. It's also quite a strong stitch if it's done right, so the pages won't fall out and it will (in theory) last forever. I'm not a particular fan of the hard cover, however. I think it makes the book look quite cheap, and it means my book could only have a screen printed cover, or failing that, a wrap around cover, which I'm not a particular fan of. 

I wasn't a particular fan of the books we created in the bookbinding session, so I decided I would go home and experiment further with possible binding methods. I created this open spine bound book. I have used this stitch in a previous project in first year and it was very successful, however I had designed the front cover for that project as part of the book, and I'm not a particular fan of the stitching coming over the front cover, which is what I would have to do for my own publication. 

I have decided to use the saddle stitch bind, however not use a hardcover. For commercial use, it could be stapled which would make the process cheaper, however I plan on screen printing over the images with gloss and also the front cover, so it could only be mass produced if the gloss was UV Printed. I think the fact that it's made my hand, however, is beneficial as it increases the price that the publication could be sold for and it also limits the amount of copies that could be created, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it means there would be a higher demand as it would be a limited edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment