Sunday, 15 November 2015

OUGD504 Design Production & Evaluation (Studio Brief Three)

Design Production

To create my book, I used InDesign. As I wanted my images to be full bleed, I used a bleed of 3mm so that I could crop the book without losing valuable content.

I printed my book in digital print and it came to £30 including the cost of the stock, which I bought from GF Smith. I chose a stock that looked recycled as it gave a sense of the town that I did the content of my book was based on - quite old and eroded.

The book printing was so expensive as I only needed to print out one book, however if I were to use a local printer, such as Pressision or Evolution Print, it would've worked out a lot cheaper using a Lithoprinter, as with a lithoprint, you only have to pay for the stock, the plates and the ink used.

The ink was also took into consideration, as I used duotone images, meaning that only two Pantone inks would need to be bought instead of using full colour, which would cost a lot more as CMYK would need to be bought.

The binding method I used was a saddle stitch, as it's the easiest stitch, meaning it could easily be mass produced. Originally, I would've preferred to use staples, however I couldn't as my book was far too thick for the staples to puncture.


Upon reflection, I'm really impressed with my final publication and I think the colour scheme is incredibly relevant for Kalkan and fits really well with my content. I'm also glad that I added the gloss screen print to each image, as although it's quite hard to tell looking at the final publication, it did look a lot more glossy than the original printed image and in my opinion it was worth going the extra mile. I think it's also successful as it makes the front cover of the publication fit with the content even further.

A downfall of creating the publication was the fact that the publication was so thick, meaning when I folded all of the pages, all of the numbers got shifted, meaning I had to leave the crop marks on certain pages as otherwise the content would've been distorted. If I were to redo the publication, I would take this into consideration and shift the numbers, however it's quite a minor fault and it wouldn't happen if the publication was sent to be manufactured professionally.

A strength of this brief was definitely my time management, as in the first week I did a lot of research into photography books and managed to create a rough template of how I wanted my publication to look. In the second week, I created multiple indesign documents and asked for feedback on my publication. In the third week, I finalised my publication design and printed it in digital print. In the final week, I screen printed gloss over all of my images and also screen printed my front cover. I also went down the Vernon Street and bound my publication.

A weakness of this brief was the actual production of the publication. I found it really frustrating that the gloss that I screen printed onto each page is barely visible. This could've been improved if the stock I had chosen wasn't so thick, as I believe the gloss just got absorbed into it. However, having said this, I think the publication wouldn't of looked quite as professional as it does without the gloss, as the gloss matches the front cover and is therefore consistent throughout the publication. Another downfall was the cropping of the publication, as it was so thick that the crop marks can still be seen on some pages. Overall, however, I think the publication turned out really well and I'm not too sure how I could've avoided the crop marks without going to a professional printing company as university doesn't have the facilities to avoid this.

No comments:

Post a Comment