Thursday 13 November 2014

OUGD403 Research, Sedki Alimam (Studio Brief Four)

Sedki Alimam is a graphic designer based in Uppsala in Sweden. I think his work is incredibly interesting as he uses very basic and limited colouring, something I have looked into a bit as I am limited to using 2 colours for my own poster designs. I particularly like his illustrations entitled "Bic Man" which can all be seen HERE. He has created multiple characters based around the Bic logo on his favourite pop culture characters. I particularly like the design below, which is based on the character Heisenberg from the series Breaking Bad. I think the limited use of colour really works for his poster designs, as they are aesthetically pleasing and simplistic, however you can still recognise a lot of the characters that he has tried to recreate in the limits of the Bic logo.


I also really like his work entitled 'Dissociative Identity Disorder'. He describes it as "A mental disorder on the dissociative spectrum characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states that alternately control an animation character's behaviour" which basically means it is based on a cartoon character whos actions are controlled by another. The series can be seen HERE. I think the concept is really interesting, as it's true that the character couldn't develop without the other, and infact both characters wouldn't really exist or have a purpose without the other. For example, in this particular cartoon, the Roadrunner wouldn't torment the Coyote, and Wile E. Coyote wouldn't have much of a purpose as a character without the Roadrunner. They both shadow each other, however both compliment each other at the same time. I particularly like this design as the Alimam has screen printed the designs onto t-shirts and jumpers.



No comments:

Post a Comment