Before jumping onto the computer, I wanted to experiment with pen and paper first to get a rough idea of how my logo design could work. I originally decided to experiment with the obvious responses to the logo design - for example, changing the E in Eurojust into the symbol for a euro. This could, in a sense, be successful, however it’s an incredibly obvious response to the task and it’ll be beneficial to experiment further with this.
I then had another idea; this was to change the O in Eurojust into a magnifying glass. This would symbolise the purpose of Eurojust; as Eurojust is a company that works across Europe to fight organised crime - I thought this would be quite relevant as it’s a kind of cartoon idea of how people go about fighting crime - for example, Sherlock Holmes and Nancy Drew. This mock up definitely has potential and I’m going to experiment further with this on Illustrator. I think right now it doesn’t look too great, but the concept is there and it will obviously be very different in an actual typeface other than my own hand writing.
My next concept was also to go along with the fighting crime theme. I tried to turn the letterform ‘O’ into handcuffs. I don’t think it’s successful as it no longer looks like an ‘O’ and it looks more like a ‘G’. This may look very different on the computer, however, so I will still make a mock up on Illustrator.
I then experimented using the symbol used in the original logo design; the scales. This design definitely has potential, as it’s obvious that the judgers of Eurojust will approve as it will be similar to their original logo - which they were clearly fond of - but it will definitely be an improvement.
There is a requirement for the logo design to feature the stars from the European flag. For this reason, I decided to experiment with just type and the stars. All of these designs can be seen below. I decided to use the stars as the letterform ‘O’ for each design. I think the first and second designs are the most successful. This is because the spacing could work successfully. For example, in the second rough sketch, it has elements that are similar to the original logo design. I don’t think that the third sketch is very successful as the design as a whole doesn’t look central.